The Women Entrepreneurship measure includes 11 select items on women’s experiences as an entrepreneur, reasons for entrepreneurship, challenges faced, and gender parity in business. These items and others were included in a multicounty study examining the gender gap in entrepreneurial businesses.
Geographies Tested: Azerbaijan,Kazakhstan,Kyrgyzstan,Uzbekistan
Populations Included: Female, Male
Age Range: Adolescents, Adults
1. Which of the following best describe(s) your reason(s) for having your own business?
[Read out: Record up to three reasons, if the respondent gives more than one reason.]
I wanted to be my own boss.
I saw the market opportunity for a profitable business.
I couldn’t find work anywhere else.
I needed more flexibility to earn an income while still taking care of family and household duties.
I don’t have any skills for other kinds of employment.
My previous employment ended.
I wanted to increase my potential to earn a higher income.
Other (please specify).
2. Was it necessary for you to have your husband’s permission to start the business?
[Read out. Record only one response.]
Yes, it was legally required.
Yes, but it was not legally required.
No, it was not.
Not applicable. (I did not have a husband at the time.)
3. How many owners (i.e., partners, shareholders) are there in this business and what sex are they?
Female owners (excluding yourself) [Write in number]
Male owners [Write in number]
4. Which types of information out of the list below would you say to be important for your business, and are you either not getting it, or have it at the moment?
[Tick all that apply]
I need access to this information
I am not getting access to this information
I have limited access to this information
I have easy access to this information
5. Would you be interested in an information service where useful information for women entrepreneurs is delivered to your mobile phone by SMS?
6. What source(s) of financing did you use to get your business started?
[Read out the list: multiresponse. Indicate “yes” or “no” response for each item in the list.]
(National adaptation of this question may be required, depending on the possible sources of financing available)
7. During the past year, where did you try to get financing for your business and were you successful in your efforts?
[Read out: multiresponse. Record response for each item in the list]
(National adaptation of this question may be required)
If “yes,” were you successful?
8. What, in your view, are (or would be) the major problems in obtaining a loan from a financial institution (bank or microfinance institution)?
[Read out the list, multiresponse. Circle number in appropriate column for all of the items in the list.]
Yes (a problem)
No (not a problem)
Do not knowHave no view
9. Are you a member of any of the following business-related organizations?
[Read out list. Multiresponse]
10. Have you ever participated in business support programs that were offered specifically to women entrepreneurs?
[Read out list. Multiresponse]
11. Please indicate whether you Agree or Disagree with the following statements.
[Read out the list. Circle appropriate response for each item in the list.]
* Numeric codes for the Response Options above were not provided in the original report.
Asian Development Bank. (2014). Information and communication technologies for women entrepreneurs: Prospects and potential in Azerbaijan, Kazakhstan, the Kyrgyz Republic, and Uzbekistan. https://www.adb.org/sites/default/files/publication/42869/icts-women-entrepreneurs.pdf
Ease of Use Score
Existing Literature/Theoretical Framework
Field Expert Input
Cognitive Interviews / Pilot Testing