This measure uses 9 self-reported items from the second round of the Indian Human Development Survey (IHDS) Income and Social Capital Questionnaire. IHDS is a nationally representative, multi-dimensional survey conducted across India. This measure captures farm-related social capital of a household, distribution of farm-based labor and decision-making regarding farm matters within a household. Navigational aspects (i.e. skip-out patterns and next question sequences) have not been included on this page but can be viewed on the original questionnaire located at https://www.icpsr.umich.edu/web/pages/DSDR/idhs-II-data-guide.html
Geographies Tested: India
Populations Included: Female
Age Range: Adolescents, Adults
1. Who is the primary decision maker about farm matters in your house?
2. How did you acquire most of the land that you own?
Inherited Gifted to male members - 1
Inherited Gifted to female members - 2
Undivided family land - 3
Purchased - 4
Received from govt. Panchayat - 5
Others - 6
No land owned - 9
3. If land is in the name of a household member, who is that?
4. Does this household own any –
No - 0
Yes - Record Number
5. How much money did you spend buying new equipment last year?
6. How much money did you earn selling renting out water, equipment or animals last year?
7. Do you have any other income from agriculture, such as from selling trees last year? If so, how much?
8. Overall last 12 months (3 seasons) production was average, better than average, worse than average?
Average - 1
Better than average - 2
Worse than average - 3
9. Who is the primary person responsible for taking care of animals in your household?
Desai, S., & Vanneman, R. (2015). India Human Development Survey-II (IHDS-II). Ann Arbor, MI: Inter-university Consortium for Political and Social Research. https://doi. org/10.3886/ICPSR36151. v6.
Ease of Use Score
Existing Literature/Theoretical Framework
Field Expert Input
Cognitive Interviews / Pilot Testing
to get the latest updates on new measures and guidance for survey researchers