This measure uses 11 self-reported items from the second round of the Indian Human Development Survey (IHDS) Income and Social Capital Questionnaire. IHDS is a nationally representative, multi-dimensional survey conducted across India. Respondents are asked about the recent working status of household members along with the nature of the work and wages received. This measure also includes items that capture decision-making related to any businesses operated within the household. Navigational aspects (i.e. skip-out patterns and next question sequences) have not been included on this page but can be viewed on the original questionnaire located at https://www.icpsr.umich.edu/web/pages/DSDR/idhs-II-data-guide.html
Geographies Tested: India
Populations Included: Female, Male
Age Range: Adolescents, Adults
1. For how many days did [NAME] do this work last year?
2. How many hours did [NAME] work in a usual day?
3. Frequency of payment
Per Day - 1
Per Month - 2
Fixed - 3
4. What was the rate at which [NAME] was paid in cash or in kind?
5. Did [NAME] receive meals or housing from the employer?
No - 0
Yes meal - 1
Yes house - 2
Yes both - 3
6. Did [NAME] receive any bonus? If Yes, what was the total value over the last year?
No - 0
7. Is [NAME] a Casual or a Permanent worker?
Casual daily - 1
Casual piece work - 2
Contract < 1 year - 3
Regular Permanent Longer Contract - 4
8. Nature of job or work?
Govt. PSU - 1
Private firm - 2
Private employer - 3
MGNREGA - 4
Other govt. programs - 5
Others - 6
9. Time to get to workplace?
10. Who is the primary decision maker for the business [first non-farm business]?
11. Who is the primary decision maker for the business [second non-farm business]?
Desai, S., & Vanneman, R. (2015). India Human Development Survey-II (IHDS-II). Ann Arbor, MI: Inter-university Consortium for Political and Social Research. https://doi. org/10.3886/ICPSR36151. v6.
Ease of Use Score
Existing Literature/Theoretical Framework
Field Expert Input
Cognitive Interviews / Pilot Testing