This measure uses 6 self-reported items from the second round of the Indian Human Development Survey (IHDS) Women's Questionnaire. IHDS is a nationally representative, multi-dimensional survey conducted across India. This measure captures community norms around Intimate Partner Violence (IPV). Navigational aspects (i.e. skip-out patterns and next question sequences) have not been included on this page but can be viewed on the original questionnaire located at https://www.icpsr.umich.edu/web/pages/DSDR/idhs-II-data-guide.html
I would now like to ask you some questions about your community, NOT about your own family.
In your community is it usual for husbands to beat their wives in each of the following situations?
1. If she goes out without telling him?
2. If he suspects her of having relations with other men?
3. If her natal family does not give expected money, jewelery or other items?
4. Is she neglects the house or the children?
5. If she does not respect elders of the family?
6. If she doesn’t cook food properly?
No - 0
Yes - 1
Desai, S., & Vanneman, R. (2015). India Human Development Survey-II (IHDS-II). Ann Arbor, MI: Inter-university Consortium for Political and Social Research. https://doi. org/10.3886/ICPSR36151. v6.
Existing Literature/Theoretical Framework
Field Expert Input
Cognitive Interviews / Pilot Testing