This measure uses 5 self-reported items from the second round of the Indian Human Development Survey (IHDS) Women's Questionnaire. IHDS is a nationally representative, multi-dimensional survey conducted across India. This measure captures the participation of women in income-generating activities and intra-household decision making around that. Navigational aspects (i.e. skip-out patterns and next question sequences) have not been included on this page but can be viewed on the original questionnaire located at https://www.icpsr.umich.edu/web/pages/DSDR/idhs-II-data-guide.html
I would like to ask you some questions about working for pay in a salaried job or as a casual worker.
1. Have you ever worked for pay/wages?
2. If Yes, are you currently working for pay/wages?
No - 0
Yes - 1
3. Who has the most say in decisions about your work? [One Option Allowed]
Self - 1
Husband - 2
Senior male - 3
Senior female - 4
Others - 5
4. If you found a suitable job, would you be willing to work?
5. If you found a suitable job, would you be allowed to work?
No - 0
Yes - 1
Desai, S., & Vanneman, R. (2015). India Human Development Survey-II (IHDS-II). Ann Arbor, MI: Inter-university Consortium for Political and Social Research. https://doi. org/10.3886/ICPSR36151. v6.
Existing Literature/Theoretical Framework
Field Expert Input
Cognitive Interviews / Pilot Testing