The Women's Contraceptive Use: Decisional Balance scale includes 30 items that capture the advantages, such as protection against pregnancy and diseases, and disadvantages, such as side effects and distrust, of contraceptive use.
High Psychometric Score
General contraceptive use
1. I would be safer from pregnancy.
2. I would feel more responsible.
3. I would not have to deal with the results of a pregnancy.
4. I would be free to have sex without worrying about getting pregnant.
5. My partner would not have to worry about my becoming pregnant.
6. Birth control methods can make sex feel unnatural.
7. It would be too much trouble.
8. It would cost too much.
9. It is against my beliefs.
10. Sex would be less exciting.
Condom use with main partner
11. I would be safer from disease.
12. I would feel more responsible.
13. It protects my partner as well as myself.
14. I would be safer from pregnancy.
15. It is easily available.
16. It makes sex feel unnatural.
17. It would be too much trouble.
18. My partner would be angry.
19. I would have to rely on my partner's cooperation.
20. My partner would think that I do not trust him.
Condom use with other partners
21. I would be safer from disease.
22. I would feel more responsible.
23. It protects my partner as well as myself.
24. I would be safer from pregnancy.
25. It is easily available.
26. It makes sex feel unnatural.
27. It would be too much trouble.
28. My partner would be upset.
29. My partner would think that I "play around."
30. I would have to rely on my partner's cooperation.
5-point Likert scale
Not at all important - 1
Very important - 5
Items are averaged to create a total scale.
Galavotti, C., Cabral, R. J., Lansky, A., Grimley, D. M., Riley, G. E., & Prochaska, J. O. (1995). Validation of measures of condom and other contraceptive use among women at high risk for HIV infection and uninteded pregnancy. Health Psychology, 14(6), 570-578. https://doi.org/10.1037//0278-622.214.171.1240
Existing Literature/Theoretical Framework
Field Expert Input
Cognitive Interviews / Pilot Testing