The Asian Barometer Survey Wave 4 2013-2016: Traditionalism uses 14 items related to traditional values from the Asian Barometer Survey Wave 4, a global survey that aims to explore citizens’ attitudes toward democracy, governance and political reform. Navigational aspects (i.e. skip-out patterns and next question sequences) have not been included on this page but can be viewed on the original questionnaire located here.
Geographies Tested: Cambodia,China,Indonesia,Japan,Korea, South,Malaysia,Mongolia,Myanmar (Burma),Philippines,Singapore,Taiwan,Thailand,Vietnam
Populations Included: Female, Male
Age Range: Adults
Please tell me how you feel about the following statements. Would you say you strongly agree, somewhat agree, somewhat disagree, or strongly disagree?
1. For the sake of the family, the individual should put his personal interests second.
2. In a group, we should sacrifice our individual interest for the sake of the group’s collective interest.
3. For the sake of national interest, individual interest could be sacrificed.
4. When dealing with others, developing a long-term relationship is more important than securing one’s immediate interest.
5. When dealing with others, one should not only focus on immediate interest but also plan for future.
6. Even if parents’ demands are unreasonable, children still should do what they ask.
7. When a mother-in-law and a daughter-in-law come into conflict, even if the mother-in-law is in the wrong, the husband should still persuade his wife to obey his mother.
8. Being a student, one should not question the authority of their teacher.
9. In a group, we should avoid open quarrel to preserve the harmony of the group.
10. Even if there is some disagreement with others, one should avoid the conflict.
11. A person should not insist on his own opinion if his co-workers disagree with him.
12. Wealth and poverty, success and failure are all determined by fate.
13. If one could have only one child, it is more preferable to have a boy than a girl.
14. When dealing with others, one should not be preoccupied with temporary gains and losses.
Strongly agree - 1
Somewhat agree - 2
Somewhat disagree - 3
Strongly disagree - 4
Do not understand the question - 7
Can’t choose - 8
Decline to answer - 9
Global Barometer Surveys. (2016). Asian Barometer Survey of Democracy, Governance and Development. https://www.globalbarometer.net/survey_qu
Ease of Use Score
Existing Literature/Theoretical Framework
Field Expert Input
Cognitive Interviews / Pilot Testing