The Demographic and Health Survey Phase 8 (DHS-8): Injury and Death includes 8 items from the Accident and Injury Module assessing injuries and deaths for reasons including violence/assault and self-harm. Navigational aspects (i.e. skip-out patterns and next question sequences) have not been included on this page but can be viewed on the original Accident and Injury Module questionnaire located here.
1. In the last 12 months, was anyone in your household killed or injured in an incident other than a road traffic accident? By injured, I mean that their injuries were severe enough that for at least one day they could not carry out their normal daily activities.
2. What is the name of the first/next person killed or injured?
Name = _____
Enter the name of each person killed or injured, starting with the name the respondent mentions first.
3. In what type of incident was (NAME) killed or injured? [If a person had more than one incident, ask questions about the most recent incident only.]
Drowning / Near drowning
Struck by person/object
Cut or stabbed
4. How did the death or injury happen?
Violence / assault
5. Was (NAME) male or female?
6. What kind of injuries did (NAME) have as a result of the incident? [record all mentioned]
7. Does (NAME) continue to have any health problems as a result of the incident?
8. In what ways does (NAME) continue to have health problems as a result of the injury? [record all mentioned]
Loss of limb
Los of limb function
Loss of eyesight
Loss of hearing
Demographic and Health Surveys (2019). Demographic and Health Surveys: Accident and Injury Module. https://dhsprogram.com/publications/publication-DHSQ8-DHS-Questionnaires-and-Manuals.cfm.
Existing Literature/Theoretical Framework
Field Expert Input
Cognitive Interviews / Pilot Testing