The Condom Attitude Scale— Adolescent Version (CAS-A) is a 23-item version of the Condom Attitude Scale. It assesses adolescents' attitudes towards using condoms during sex.
Geographies Tested: United States of America
Populations Included: Female, Male
Age Range: Adolescents
1. Using a condom takes the "wonder" out of sex.*
2. I am concerned about catching AIDS or some other sexually transmitted disease.
3. A condom is not necessary when you and your partner agree not to have sex with anyone else.*
4. Condoms are messy.*
5. A condom is not necessary if you know your partner.*
6. Using condoms shows my partner I care about himher.
7. A condom is not necessary if you're pretty sure the other person doesn't have a sexually transmitted disease.* 8. If I'm not careful, I could catch a sexually transmitted disease.
9. I wouldn't use a condom if my partner refused.*
10. People who carry condoms would have sex with anyone.*
11. I wouldn't mind if my partner brought up the idea of using a condom.
12. Condoms create a sense of safety.
13. People who use condoms sleep around a lot.*
14. If I'm not careful, I could catch AIDS.
15. Condoms take away the pleasure of sex.*
16. If my partner suggested using a condom, I would respect him or her.
17. Other people should respect my desire to use a condom.
18. I worry that I could catch a sexually transmitted disease.
19. If my partner suggested using a condom, I would feel relieved.
20. People who carry condoms are just looking for sex.*
21. A condom is not necessary when you are with the same partner for a long time.*
22. If my partner suggested using a condom, I would think heshe was only being cautious.
23. Condoms protect against sexually transmitted diseases.*
A 7-point Likert scale
St. Lawrence, J. S., Reitmen, D., Jefferson, K. W., Allenye, E., Brasfield, T. L., & Shirley, A. (1994). Factor structure and validation of an adolescent version of the Condom Attitude Scale: An instrument for measuring adolescents’ attitudes toward condom. Psychological Assessment, 6(4), 352-359. https://doi.org/10.1037/1040-35220.127.116.112
Ease of Use Score
Existing Literature/Theoretical Framework
Field Expert Input
Cognitive Interviews / Pilot Testing
to get the latest updates on new measures and guidance for survey researchers