Male Role Norms Inventory
The Male Role Norms Inventory (MNRI) is a 58-item self-reported measure of individual beliefs about male gender norms, comprising of seven subscales: Avoidance of Femininity, Restrictive Emotionally, Aggression, Achievement/Status, Self-Reliance, Homophobia, and Attitudes Toward Sex. Different aspects of male role norms captured by this scale include physical appearance, confidence, expression of emotions, and sexual behaviors.
Geographies Tested: United States of America
Populations Included: Female, Male
Age Range: Adolescents, Adults
Subscale: Avoidance of Femininity
- Housework is women's work.
- Jobs like firefighter and electrician should be reserved for men.
- Boys should prefer to play with trucks rather than dolls.
- A man should prefer football to needlecraft.
- Boys should not throw baseballs like girls.
- A man should avoid holding his wife's purse at all times.
- Men should be allowed to wear bracelets.*
- It is too feminine for a man to use clear nail polish on his fingernails.
Subscale: Restrictive Emotionally
- Men should be detached in emotionally charged situations.
- Nobody likes a man who cries in public.
- It's not particularly important for a man to control his emotions.*
- If a man is in pain, it's better for him to let people know than to keep it to himself.*
- A man should never reveal worries to others.
- Fathers should teach their sons to mask fear.
- One should not be able to tell how a man is feeling by looking at his face.
- Men should not be too quick to tell others that they care about them.
- Men should be allowed to kiss their fathers.*
- Being a little down in the dumps is not a good reason for a man to act depressed.
- A man should not force the issue if another man takes his parking space.*
- Boys should be encouraged to find a means of demonstrating physical prowess.
- A man who has no taste for adventure is not very appealing.
- Men should get up to investigate if there is a strange noise in the house at night.
- A boy should be allowed to quit a game if he is losing.*
- When physically provoked, men should not resort to violence.*
- It is important for a man to take risks, even if he might get hurt.
- When the going gets tough, men should get tough.
- If necessary, a man should sacrifice personal relationships for career advancement.
- It's not important for men to strive to reach the top. *
- In a group, it's up to the men to get things organized and moving ahead.
- A man should do whatever it takes to be admired and respected.
- It's o.k. for a man to buy a fast, shiny sports car if he wants, even if he may have to stretch beyond his budget.
- A man should always be the major provider in his family.
- It's o.k. for a man to ask for help changing a tire.*
- A man should try to win at any sport he participates in.
- Men should have goals and be determined to achieve them.
- Men should make the final decision involving money.
- A man should never count on someone else to get the job done.
- A man should think things out logically and have good reason for what he does.
- Men should always be realistic.
- A man should be level-headed.
- A man should never doubt his own judgement.
- A man must be able to make his own way in the world.
- A man who takes a long time and has difficulty making decisions will usually not be respected.
- Being called "faggot" is one of the worst insults to a man or boy.
- A man should not continue a friendship with another man if he finds out that the other man is homosexual.
- A man should be able to openly show affection to another man.*
- There are some subjects which men should not talk about with other men.
- It is disappointing to learn that a famous athlete is gay.
Subscale: Attitudes Toward Sex
- A man should always be ready for sex.
- A man doesn't need to have an erection in order to enjoy sex.*
- It is important for a man to be good in bed.
- A man should love his sex partner.*
- Men should always take the initiative when it comes to sex.
- A man shouldn't have to worry about birth control.
- For a man, sex should be a spontaneous, rather than pre-planned activity.
- For men, touching is simply the first step toward sex.
- Hugging and kissing should always lead to intercourse.
- A man shouldn't bother with sex unless he can achieve an orgasm.
*Items reverse coded during scoring
Response Options: A 7-point scale with Strongly disagree = 1 to Strongly agree = 7
Levant, R. F., Hirsch, L. S., Celentano, E., & Cozza, T. M. (1992). The male role: An investigation of contemporary norms. Journal of Mental Health Counseling.