The Violence Against Children Survey School Experiences measure includes 9 items from the National Baseline Survey on Life Experiences of Adolescents (NBSLEA, 2011). The items assess the respondents’ experiences in school, including the type of schooling they are enrolled in, their grades or marks, the mode of transport usually used to go to school, and their feelings regarding other students and teachers. Violence Against Children Surveys are nationally representative household surveys of children and young adults aged 13 to 24 years. The questions are designed to measure the prevalence and circumstances surrounding emotional, physical, and sexual violence against males and females in childhood (before age 18). Navigational aspects (i.e. skip-out patterns and next question sequences) have not been included on this page but can be viewed on the original questionnaire located here.
Interviewer: Now I’d like to ask you some questions about the schooling you have received, as well as some of your experiences in school.
1. Have you ever been to school? 2. Are you currently attending school?
Response Options: Yes - 1 No - 2 Don’t know - 88 Declined to answer - 98
3. What type of school are you enrolled in: public, private, boarding, or any other?
Response Options: Government day school - 1 Private, non-boarding - 2 Public, boarding - 3 Private, boarding - 4 Non formal education - 5 Other (specify) ____ - 96 Don’t know - 88 Declined to answer - 98
4. How would you describe your grades/marks in school? Excellent, very good, fair, or poor?
Response Options: Excellent - 1 Very good - 2 Good - 3 Fair - 4 Poor - 5 Don’t know - 88 Declined to answer - 98
5. How do you travel to school on most days? For example, do you use a school bus, public transportation, walk alone, walk with friends, or travel some other way? (Interviewer, respondent should provide only one answer)
Response Options: School bus - 1 Car - 2 Combi - 3 Walking alone - 4 Walking with a person I know - 5 Bicycle - 6 I board at school - 7 Other - 96 Don’t know - 88 Declined to answer: 98
6. Have you completed primary school?
Response Options: Yes - 1 No - 2 Don’t Know - 88 Declined to Answer - 98
7. What are the main reasons you have not completed primary school? (Circle all mentioned)
Response Options: Currently attending - A Got married - B Got someone pregnant - C Could not afford school fees/books/uniforms - D Needed to earn money/work - E Did not like school - F Failed - G Other (Specify) _____ - X Don’t know - Z Declined to answer - Y
Interviewer: I’d like to ask you some questions about your feelings about school. Please tell me whether you strongly agree, agree, disagree, or strongly disagree with the following statements.
8. You feel/felt close to students at your school. Do you strongly agree, agree, disagree, or strongly disagree with this?
9. You feel/felt that your teachers care/cared about you. (Interviewer prompt if necessary: Do you strongly agree, agree, disagree, or strongly disagree with this?)
Response Options: Strongly agree - 1 Agree - 2 Disagree - 3 Strongly disagree - 4 Don’t know - 88 Declined to answer - 98
Zimbabwe National Statistics Agency (ZIMSTAT), United Nations Children's Fund (UNICEF) and Collaborating Center for Operational Research and Evaluation (CCORE). (2013). National Baseline Survey on Life Experiences of Adolescents, 2011. http://www.togetherforgirls.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/UNICEF_NBSLEA-Report-Zimbabwe-23-10-13.pdf
Existing Literature/Theoretical Framework
Field Expert Input
Cognitive Interviews / Pilot Testing