The eight-item Enjoyment of Sexualization Scale (ESS) measures the degree to which an individual might enjoy sexualized, appearance-based attention from men.
Geographies Tested: United States of America
Populations Included: Female
1. It is important to me that men are attracted to me.
2. I feel proud when men compliment the way I look.
3. I want men to look at me.
4. I love to feel sexy.
5. I like showing off my body.
6. I feel complimented when men whistle at me.
7. When I wear revealing clothing, I feel sexy and in control.
8. I feel empowered when I look beautiful.
6-point Likert scale
Disagree strongly - 1
Agree strongly - 6
Liss, M., Erchull, M. J., & Ramsey, L. R. (2011). Empowering or oppressing? Development and exploration of the Enjoyment of Sexualization Scale. Personality & Social Psychology Bulletin, 37(1), 55-68. https://doi.org/10.1177/0146167210386119
Ease of Use Score
Existing Literature/Theoretical Framework
Field Expert Input
Cognitive Interviews / Pilot Testing