Gender Role Attitudes Among Young Women uses 5 items from the National Longitudinal Survey of Youth (NLSY). This measure assesses women's attitudes around traditional gender roles.
Geographies Tested: United States of America
Populations Included: Female
Age Range: Adolescents
1. The place of women is in the home.
2. A wife with a family has no time for employment.
3. A working wife feels more useful.
4. Traditional husband/wife roles are best.
5. Women are happier in traditional roles.
Degree of agreement on a 4-point Likert scale
Scores from all items are averaged to produce one index ranging from 1 to 4, with higher scores representing stronger beliefs in traditional gender roles.
Leech, T. G. (2010). Everything's better in moderation: Young women's gender role attitudes and risky sexual behavior. Journal of Adolescent Health, 46(5), 437-443. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jadohealth.2009.10.012
Ease of Use Score
Existing Literature/Theoretical Framework
Field Expert Input
Cognitive Interviews / Pilot Testing