The Subsistence and Domestic Work – Egypt measure includes 8-items about time-use in the household. The items come from the Individual questionnaire of the Egyptian Labor Market Panel Survey 2012 (ELMPS12) and asked respondents questions pertaining to time allocated to agricultural activities, raising children, cooking, etc. It was designed to follow a nationally representative sample of households on topics such as household assets, education, employment, migration, women’s unpaid work, women’s status and fertility, and remittances.
Geographies Tested: Egypt
Populations Included: Female, Male
Age Range: Adolescents, Adults
Interviewer: Now I would like to ask you about activities you undertook in the past seven days and the time you spent on them.
The interviewer should take into consideration the socioeconomic status of the HH as well as the differences between urban and rural areas.
1. Were there any special events in your household during the past 7 days? (for example, marriage festivals, deaths, school holidays)?
Marriage - 1
Festivals - 2
Deaths - 3
School Holidays - 4
Other (specify) - 5
None - 6
2. Did you spend time on agricultural activities, raising poultrylivestock, producing gheebuttercheese for the purpose of your own household consumption in the past seven days? How much time did you spend on it?
3. Did you spend time shopping for food, clothing, household items, accompanying family members to their activities in the past seven days? How much time did you spend on it?
4. Did you spend time on maintenance activities or helping in construction work for the household for the purpose of your own household consumption in the past seven days? How much time did you spend on it?
5. Did you spend time cooking, washing dishes, doing laundry and ironing, cleaning your house in the past seven days? How much time did you spend on it?
6. Did you spend time collecting water, collecting firewood or other fuel in the past seven days? How much time did you spend on it?
7. Did you spend time caring for children, the sick or the elderly in the past seven days? (while not doing other chores) How much time did you spend on it?
8. Did you spend time on childcare, caring for the sick or the elderly at the same time that you were doing other activities in the past seven days? How much time did you spend on it?
Yes (Record time in minutes and hours) - 1
No - 2
Economic Research Forum (ERF). (2012). The Egypt Labor Market Panel Survey. https://catalog.ihsn.org/index.php/catalog/5869/study-description
Ease of Use Score
Existing Literature/Theoretical Framework
Field Expert Input
Cognitive Interviews / Pilot Testing
to get the latest updates on new measures and guidance for survey researchers