The Demographic and Health Survey Phase 8 (DHS-8): Experiences of Female Genital Cutting includes 8 items from the Female Genital Cutting (FGC) Module assessing a woman’s personal experiences of FGC. The aspects of these items include the experience and type of circumcision, age at circumcision, and who performed the circumcision. Navigational aspects (i.e. skip-out patterns and next question sequences) have not been included on this page but can be viewed here.
1. Now I would like to ask some questions about a practice known as female circumcision. Have you ever heard of female circumcision?
2. In some countries, there is a practice in which a girl may have part of her genitals cut. Have you ever heard about this practice?
3. Have you yourself ever been circumcised?
4. Now I would like to ask you what was done to you at that time. Was any flesh removed from the genital area?
5. Was the genital area just nicked without removing any flesh?
6. Was your genital area sewn closed?
This question should be adapted to reflect country-specific methods of infibulation (that is, ways in which the vaginal orifice is narrowed or “closed”).
7. How old were you when you were circumcised? IF THE RESPONDENT DOES NOT KNOW THE EXACT AGE, PROBE TO GET AN ESTIMATE.
2-digit numeric (_ years)
As a baby/during infancy
8. Who performed the circumcision?
Traditional birth attendant
Other traditional provider (specify)
Other health professional (specify)
Demographic and Health Surveys (2019). Demographic and Health Surveys: Female Genital Cutting Module. https://dhsprogram.com/publications/publication-DHSQ8-DHS-Questionnaires-and-Manuals.cfm.
Existing Literature/Theoretical Framework
Field Expert Input
Cognitive Interviews / Pilot Testing