Dating and Digital Abuse is an 11-item measure from the MTV and the Associated Press-NORC Center for Public Affairs Research Digital Abuse Survey. It asks young people (14-24 years old) currently in serious or casual dating relationships if they have experienced digital dating abuse from their current romantic partner.
Geographies Tested: United States of America
Populations Included: Female, Male
Age Range: Adolescents, Adults
Has your current boyfriend, girlfriend, husband, wife, significant other, or person you're dating or hooking up with ever done any of the following?
1. Checked up with you multiple times per day on the internet or via cell phone asking where you are, who you're with and what you're doing
2. Read your text messages without your permission
3. Made you remove former girlfriends or boyfriends from their friends list on social networking sites
4. Called you names, put you down or said really mean things to you on the Internet or on your cell phone
5. Demanded to know the passwords to your email and internet accounts
6. Used the Internet or text messages to try to persuade you into unwanted sexual activity
7. Used information posted on the internet against you to harass or embarrass you
8. Spread rumors about you on the Internet or on a cell phone
9. Contacted you on the Internet or on your cell phone to threaten to hurt you
Heshe has done this
Heshe has NOT done this
10. Do you ever feel like your boyfriend, girlfriend or significant other tries to check up on you too often? Would you say you feel this way...
11. Do you ever feel like your boyfriend, girlfriend or significant other tries to pressure you into responding to their phone calls, emails, texts or IMs? Would you say you feel this way...
Tompson, T., Benz, J. & Agiesta, J. (2013). The digital abuse study: Experiences of teens and young adults. Retrieved July 9, 2020, from http://www.athinline.org/pdfs/2013-MTV-AP-NORC%20Center_Digital_Abuse_Study_Full.pdf
Ease of Use Score
Existing Literature/Theoretical Framework
Field Expert Input
Cognitive Interviews / Pilot Testing