The Living Standards Survey-Nigeria: Food Insecurity measure uses 8 items from the third wave of the Nigerian General Household Survey (NGHS-3), which is a nationally representative, multi-dimensional survey conducted across Nigeria in two visits: post-planting and post-harvest seasons. This measure captures aspects around food consumption and is only asked of the senior female or person most knowledgeable about food consumption. Navigational aspects (i.e. skip-out patterns and next question sequences) have not been included on this page but can be viewed on the original questionnaire located here.
Geographies Tested: Nigeria
Populations Included: Female, Male
Age Range: Adolescents, Adults
Instructions: Now I would like to ask you some questions about your food consumption.
During the last 12 MONTHS, was there a time when […]?
1. . . . you were worried you would not have enough food to eat because of a lack of money or other resources?
2. . . . you were unable to eat healthy and nutritious food because of a lack of money or other resources?
3. . . . you ate only a few kinds of foods because of a lack of money or other resources?
4. . . . you had to skip a meal because there was not enough money or other resources to get food?
5. . . . you ate less than you thought you should because of a lack of money or other resources?
6. . . . your household ran out of food because of a lack of money or other resources?
7. . . . you were hungry but did not eat because there was not enough money or other resources for food?
8. . . . you went without eating for a whole day because of a lack of money or other resources?
Yes - 1
No - 2
National Bureau of Statistics (NBS) - Federal Government of Nigeria. (2019). Nigeria - General Household Survey, Panel 2015-2016, Wave 3. https://microdata.worldbank.org/index.php/catalog/2734/related-materials
Ease of Use Score
Existing Literature/Theoretical Framework
Field Expert Input
Cognitive Interviews / Pilot Testing