Physical and Behavior-Controlling Intimate Partner Violence (IPV)- Global is a 12-item measure of lifetime physical IPV and controlling behaviors experienced by women. This measure uses items from the Domestic Violence Module of the Demographic and Health Survey conducted in 36 countries.
Geographies Tested: Afghanistan,Angola,Armenia,Benin,Burundi,Cambodia,Chad,Comoros,Democratic Republic of the Congo,East Timor Timor-Leste,Egypt,Ethiopia,Gabon,Haiti,India,Kenya,Kyrgyzstan,Malawi,Maldives,Mali,Mozambique,Myanmar (Burma),Namibia,Nepal,Nigeria,Pakistan,Philippines,Rwanda,Sierra Leone,Tajikistan,Tanzania,The Gambia,Togo,Uganda,Zambia,Zimbabwe
Populations Included: Female
Age Range: Adolescents, Adults
Did your (last) (husband/partner) ever do any of the following things to you?
1. Push you, shake you, or throw something at you?
2. Slap you?
3. Punch with his fist or with something that could hurt you?
4. Kick you, drag you, or beat you up?
5. Try to choke you or burn you in purpose?
6. Threaten to attack you with a knife, gun or other weapon?
7. Twist your arm or pull your hair?
First, I am going to ask you about some situations which happen to some women. Please tell me if these apply to your relationship with your (last)(husband/partner)?
8. He (is/was) jealous or angry if you talk/talked to other men?
9. He frequently (accuses/accused) you of being unfaithful?
10. He (does/did) not permit you to meet your female friends?
11. He (tries/tried) to limit your contact with your family?
12. He (insists/insisted) on knowing where you are/were at all times?
Yount, K. M., Cheong, Y. F., Khan, Z., Bergenfeld, I., Kaslow, N., & Clark, C. J. (2022). Global measurement of intimate partner violence to monitor Sustainable Development Goal 5. BMC Public Health, 22(1), 465. https://doi.org/10.1186/s12889-022-12822-9
Ease of Use Score
Existing Literature/Theoretical Framework
Field Expert Input
Cognitive Interviews / Pilot Testing