The Marital Attitude Scale (MAS) is a 23-item measure to assess the global satisfaction toward heterosexual marriage. Examples include views on divorce and sentiments toward marriage in general.
Geographies Tested: United States of America
Populations Included: Female, Male
Age Range: Adults
1. People should marry.*
2. I have little confidence that my marriage will be a success.
3. People should stay married to their spouses for the rest of their lives.*
4. Most couples are either unhappy in their marriage or are divorced.
5. I will be satisfied when I get married.*
6. I am fearful of marriage.
7. I have doubts about marriage.
8. People should only get married if they are sure that it will last forever.*
9. People should feel very cautious about entering into a marriage.
10. Most marriages are unhappy situations.
11. Marriage is only a legal contract.
12. Marriage is a sacred act.*
13. Most marriages aren't equal partnerships.
14. Most people have to sacrifice too much in marriage.
15. Because half of all marriages end in divorce, marriage seems futile.
16. If I divorce, 1would probably remarry.*
17. When people don't get along, I believe they should divorce.
18. I believe a relationship can be just as strong without having to go through the marriage ceremony.
19. My lifelong dream includes a happy marriage.*
20. There is not such a thing as a happy marriage.
21. Marriage restricts individuals from achieving their goals.
22. People weren't meant to stay in one relationship for their entire lives.
23. Marriage provides companionship that is missing from other types of relationships.*
*Items are reverse scored
Strongly Agree - 0
Agree - 1
Disagree - 2
Strongly disagree - 3
Items are summed to create the total MAS score. Higher scores indicate a more positive attitude toward marriage.
Braaten, E. B., & Rosén, L. A. (1998). Development and validation of the Marital Attitude Scale. Journal of Divorce & Remarriage, 29(3-4), 83-91. https://doi.org/10.1300/J087v29n03_05
Ease of Use Score
Existing Literature/Theoretical Framework
Field Expert Input
Cognitive Interviews / Pilot Testing
to get the latest updates on new measures and guidance for survey researchers