The Virginity Beliefs Scale: Gift Subscale is a 10 item measure that captures people's perception of their virginities as a gift that is considered a prized possession.
Geographies Tested: Canada
Populations Included: Female, Male
Age Range: Adolescents, Adults
1. I felt in love with the person I lost my virginity to.
2. I chose the person I lost my virginity to with care.
3. It was important to me that my first time was romantic.
4. I believed I would stay in a relationship with the person I lost my virginity to for a long time.
5. I dated the person I lost my virginity to for a long time before we engaged in intercourse.
6. It was important to me that the circumstances under which I lost my virginity were perfect.
7. I planned my first time carefully.
8. I planned my virginity loss with my partner.
9. My virginity was a gift to my first partner.
10. The reason I did not lose my virginity earlier was because I had not found the right partner.
7-point Likert scale with 1 indicating Strongly disagree, 4 indicating Neutral, and 7 indicating Strongly agree.
The average of the scores from all the items were taken to get the mean score.
Eriksson, J., & Humphreys, T. P. (2014). Development of the Virginity Beliefs Scale. Journal of Sex Research, 51(1), 107-120. https://doi.org/10.1080/00224499.2012.724475
Ease of Use Score
Existing Literature/Theoretical Framework
Field Expert Input
Cognitive Interviews / Pilot Testing
to get the latest updates on new measures and guidance for survey researchers