Big Five Inventory-2-Extra Short Form(BFI-2-XS) is a 15-item, extra short form of the Big Five Inventory-2. This measure assesses the Big Five personality domains.
Geographies Tested: Australia,Canada,New Zealand,United Kingdom,United States of America
Populations Included: Female, Male
Age Range: Adults
Here are a number if characteristics that may or may not apply to you. For example, do you agree that you are someone who likes to spend time with others? Please write a number next to each statement to indicate the extent to which you agree or disagree with that statement.
I am someone who...
1. Tends to be quiet.*
2. Is compassionate, has a soft heart.
3. Tends to be disorganized.*
4. Worries a lot.
5. Is fascinated by art, music, or literature.
6. Is dominant, acts as a leader.
7. Is sometimes rude to others.*
8. Has difficulty getting started on tasks.*
9. Tends to feel depressed, blue.
10. Has little interest in abstract ideas.*
11. Is full of energy.
12. Assume the best about people.
13. Is reliable, can always be counted on.
14. Is emotionally stable, not easily upset.*
15. Is original, comes up with new ideas.
*Items are reverse scored
Disagree strongly - 1
Disagree a little - 2
Neutral; no opinion - 3
Agree a little - 4
Agree strongly - 5
Items corresponding to the 5 domains:
1. Extraversion: 1, 6, 11
2. Agreeableness: 2, 7, 12
3. Conscientiousness: 3, 8, 13
4. Negative Emotionality: 4, 9, 14
5. Open-Mindedness: 5, 10, 15
Soto, C. J., & John, O. P. (2017). Short and extra-short forms of the Big Five Inventory–2: The BFI-2-S and BFI-2-XS. Journal of Research in Personality, 68, 69-81. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jrp.2017.02.004
Ease of Use Score
Existing Literature/Theoretical Framework
Field Expert Input
Cognitive Interviews / Pilot Testing
to get the latest updates on new measures and guidance for survey researchers