The Gender Equal Attitude Scale is a 12-item measure that captures men's attitudes on gender equality.
1. You don’t talk about sex, you just do it.
2. Women who carry condoms on them are “easy”.
3. Changing diapers, giving the kids a bath, and feeding the kids are the mother’s responsibility.
4. It is a woman’s responsibility to avoid getting pregnant.
5. A man should have the final word about decisions in his home.
6. A woman should tolerate violence in order to keep her family together.
7. I would be outraged if my wife asked me to use a condom.
8. A couple should decide together if they want to have children.
9. In my opinion, a woman can suggest using condoms just like a man can.
10. If a man gets a woman pregnant, the child is the responsibility of both.
11. It is important that a father is present in the lives of his children, even if he is no longer with the mother.
12. A man and a woman should decide together what type of contraceptive to use.
Agree - 0
Partially agree - 1
Do not agree - 2
Individual items were summed to get an overall score.
Mishra, A., Nanda, P., Speizer, I. S., Calhoun, L. M., Zimmerman, A., & Bhardwaj, R. (2014). Men’s attitudes on gender equality and their contraceptive use in Uttar Pradesh India. Reproductive Health, 11(41), 1-13. https://doi.org/10.1186/1742-4755-11-41
Existing Literature/Theoretical Framework
Field Expert Input
Cognitive Interviews / Pilot Testing