The Worry About Sexual Outcomes (WASO) Scale is a 10-item measure to understand sexual risk among adolescents, comprising the sub-scales of STI/HIV worry and pregnancy worry.
High Psychometric Score
In the past 6 months, how often did you worry that ..
1. you might get the HIV virus
2. you might already have the HIV virus
3. your sex partner may be infected with the HIV virus
4. your partner may become infected with the HIV virus
5. you might get an STI
6. you might already have an STI
7. your partner may be infected with an STI
8. your partner may become infected with an STI
9. you might get pregnant
10. you might already be pregnant
Never - 1
Sometimes - 2
Often - 3
Always - 4
Items scores are summed to create the two individual subscale scores.
Sales, J. M., Spitalnick, J., Milhausen, R. R., Wingood, G. M., DiClemente, R. J., Salazar, L. F., & Crosby, R. A. (2009). Validation of the worry about sexual outcomes scale for use in STI/HIV prevention interventions for adolescent females. Health Education Research, 24(1), 140-152. https://doi.org/10.1093/her/cyn006
Existing Literature/Theoretical Framework
Field Expert Input
Cognitive Interviews / Pilot Testing