The India Human Development Survey – II (IHDS2): Primary School Facility includes 8 questions on female enrollment in school, toilet availability for girls, and provision of supplies for girls such as books, uniform, etc. The original questionnaire has other questions to assess schools, not listed here. Navigational aspects (i.e. skip-out patterns and next question sequences) have not been included on this page but can be viewed on the original questionnaire located here
Geographies Tested: India
Populations Included: Female, Male
Age Range: Adults
Part A: Basic Characteristics
1. How many students are enrolled in this school?
2. Of these, how many are girls?
3. On an average day, how many attend?
Part B: Physical Structure
4. Does the school have any toilet facility for the students?
Yes - 1
No - 2
5. Do girls and boys have toilet facilities?
Yes, common - 1
Yes, separate - 2
No - 3
6. Is this toiletlaterine…
Inside the school building - 1
Outside the school building - 2
7. What type of toilet does the school have for girls? For boys?
Flush toilet - 1
Pit latrine - 2
Ventilated improved pit latrine - 3
None - 4
8. Does the school provide free…..
Yes, some grades - 1
Yes, all grades - 2
No - 3
Desai, S., & Vanneman, R. (2015). India Human Development Survey-II (IHDS-II), 2011-2012. Ann Arbor, MI: Inter-university Consortium for Political and Social Research. https://www.icpsr.umich.edu/web/pages/DSDR/idhs-II-data-guide.html
Ease of Use Score
Existing Literature/Theoretical Framework
Field Expert Input
Cognitive Interviews / Pilot Testing