Indicators of Women's Condom Use: Negotiating Power is a 5-item measure of the respondent's ability to discuss sexual history and engage in protective sexual intercourse with her partners. The scale includes two items that capture the negotiation or communication process in discussing protective sex behavior.
High Psychometric ScoreShort Measure
1. In the last year how much did you talk with your partner(s) about his past girlfriends before having sex with him?
2. In the last year how often did you discuss safer sex (use of condoms or female condoms) with your partner(s) before having sex with him?
3. If your partner refused to use (or let you use) a condom, would you still have sex?
4. Could you convince your partner to use a condom?
5. Could you ask your partner about his past girlfriends?
I think so
I don't think so
Items were recoded as percentage rankings.
Greig, F. E., & Koopman, C. (2003). Multilevel analysis of women’s empowerment and HIV prevention: Quantitative survey results from a preliminary study in Botswana. AIDS and Behavior, 7(2), 195-208. https://doi.org/10.1023/a:1023954526639
Existing Literature/Theoretical Framework
Field Expert Input
Cognitive Interviews / Pilot Testing