The Demographic and Health Survey Phase 8 (DHS-8): Physical and Sexual Violence by Spouse or Partner includes 16 items from the Domestic Violence Module assessing women’s experiences of physical or sexual violence committed by a husband or male partner. These items ask about type of physical and sexual violence experienced, injuries due to physical and sexual violence, fear of spouse or partner, and the age at which forced sex by a spouse or partner was first experienced. Navigational aspects (i.e. skip-out patterns and next question sequences) have not been included on this page but can be viewed on the original questionnaire located here.
Did your (last) (husband/male partner) ever do any of the following things to you:
1. Push you, shake you, or throw something at you?
2. Slap you?
3. Twist your arm or pull your hair?
4. Punch you with his fist or with something that could hurt you?
5. Kick you, drag you, or beat you up?
6. Try to choke you or burn you on purpose?
7. Attack you with a knife, gun, or other weapon?
8. Physically force you to have sexual intercourse with him when you did not want to?
9. Physically force you to perform any other sexual acts you did not want to?
10. Force you with threats or in any other way to perform sexual acts you did not want to?
11. How often did this happen during the last 12 months: often, only sometimes, or not at all?
Not in last 12 months
Did the following ever happen as a result of what your (last) (husband/male partner) did to you:
12. You had cuts, bruises, or aches?
13. You had eye injuries, sprains, dislocations, or burns?
14. You had deep wounds, broken bones, broken teeth, or any other serious injury?
15. Are (Were) you afraid of your (last) (husband/male partner): most of the time, sometimes, or never?
Most of the time afraid
16. How old were you the first time you were forced to have sexual intercourse or perform any other sexual acts that you did not want to by any current or previous husband or male partner?
Age in completed years__ (2-digit numeric)
Demographic and Health Surveys (2019). Demographic and Health Surveys: Domestic Violence Module https://dhsprogram.com/publications/publication-dhsq8-dhs-questionnaires-and-manuals.cfm?cssearch=137066_1
Existing Literature/Theoretical Framework
Field Expert Input
Cognitive Interviews / Pilot Testing