Traditional Sexual Roles is a 5-item measure of respondents' endorsement of traditional beliefs regarding men's and women's roles in heterosexual encounters.
Geographies Tested: United States of America
Populations Included: Female, Male
Age Range: Adults
1. Women are supposed to wait until the man initiates sex then decide whether they want it or not.
2. Men ultimately decide whether condoms or birth control are used.
3. In new relationships, women should wait for men to initiate sex.
4. Women who have more than most are dirty.
5. Women should be satisfied to just engage in foreplay.
6-point Likert scale
Strongly disagree - 1
Strongly agree - 6
The mean of the item scores is calculated for the total measure score.
O'Sullivan, L. F., Hoffman, S., Harrison, A., & Dolezal, C. (2006). Men, multiple sexual partners, and young adults' sexual relationships: Understanding the role of gender in the study of risk. Journal of Urban Health, 83(4), 695-708. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11524-006-9062-5
Ease of Use Score
Existing Literature/Theoretical Framework
Field Expert Input
Cognitive Interviews / Pilot Testing