Relationship Investment is a 12-item measure of respondents' commitment to the long-term future of one's primary sexual relationship.
Geographies Tested: United States of America
Populations Included: Female, Male
Age Range: Adults
1. We look forward to seeing or talking to each other every single day.
2. We share every secret.
3. We think of each other as best friends.
4. Being in a relationship should become a central part of your life.
5. We know everything about each other.
6. I want to spend the rest of my life with my partner.
7. I would like our relationship to get somewhere.
8. I can see myself with my partner when I'm old.
9. I want to spend all our time together.
10. If we broke up, it would be a devastating blow to me.
11. Everybody knows that we are serious about each other.
12. We love talking about our passions and our goals in life.
6-point Likert scale
Strongly disagree - 1
Strongly agree - 6
The mean of the item scores is calculated for the total measure score. Higher scores indicate greater investment in the relationship.
O'Sullivan, L. F., Hoffman, S., Harrison, A., & Dolezal, C. (2006). Men, multiple sexual partners, and young adults' sexual relationships: Understanding the role of gender in the study of risk. Journal of Urban Health, 83(4), 695-708. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11524-006-9062-5
Ease of Use Score
Existing Literature/Theoretical Framework
Field Expert Input
Cognitive Interviews / Pilot Testing