The Offender Is Responsible Subscale is a 4-item measure that is part of the Inventory of Beliefs about Wife Beating scale. The measure focuses on the culpability of the abuser.
High Psychometric ScoreShort Measure
1. The best way to deal with wife beating is to arrest the husband.*
2. Husbands who batter are responsible for the abuse because they intended to do it.*
3. Cases of wife beating are the fault of the husband.*
4. Husbands who batter should be responsible for the abuse because they should have foreseen that it would happen.*
Strongly Agree - 1
Agree - 2
Slightly Agree - 3
Neither Agree nor Disagree - 4
Slightly Disagree - 5
Disagree - 6
Strongly Disagree - 7
* The values for these items were reversed before adding the scores from individual items to get the overall score.
Values for individual items were added to get a summative score.
Saunders, D. G., Lynch, A. B., Grayson, M., & Linz, D. (1987). The inventory of beliefs about wife beating: The construction and initial validation of a measure of beliefs and attitudes. Violence and Victims, 2(1), 39-57.
Existing Literature/Theoretical Framework
Field Expert Input
Cognitive Interviews / Pilot Testing