The Arab Barometer Survey Wave 4 2018: Principles Determining Women’s Behavior and Situation uses 6 items related to beliefs regarding women’s role in the society, from the Global Barometer Survey 2017, a survey that aims to explore citizens’ attitudes toward democracy, governance and political reform. Navigational aspects (i.e. skip-out patterns and next question sequences) have not been included on this page but can be viewed on the original questionnaire located here.
Geographies Tested: Algeria,Egypt,Israel,Jordan,Lebanon,Morocco,Tunisia,Yemen
Populations Included: Female, Male
Age Range: Adults
The following questions are your personal opinions about the principles that should determine the behavior and situation of women in our society. For each of the statements listed below, please indicate whether you agree strongly, agree, disagree, or disagree strongly with it.
1. A woman can become President or Prime Minister of a Muslim country.
2. A married woman can work outside the home if she wishes.
3. In general, men are better at political leadership than women.
4. University education for males is more important than university education for females
5. Women and men should have equal rights to their inheritance (Women should not be denied their right).
6. Husbands should have final say in all decisions concerning the family.
I strongly agree - 1
I agree - 2
I disagree - 3
I strongly disagree - 4
I don’t know - 98
Declined to answer - 99
Global Barometer Surveys. (2018). Arab Barometer Wave 4 2018. https://www.globalbarometer.net/survey_qu
Ease of Use Score
Existing Literature/Theoretical Framework
Field Expert Input
Cognitive Interviews / Pilot Testing