The Body Esteem - Appearance Scale is a 13-item measure that captures adolescents' bodily self-esteem pertaining to their own appearance.
1. I'm pretty happy about the way I look.
2. I often wish I looked like someone else.
3. I like what I see when I look in the mirror.
4. I'm looking as nice as I'd like to.
5. I worry about the way I look.
6. I wish I looked better.
7. I like what I look like in pictures.
8. My looks upset me.
9. I often feel ashamed of how I look.
10. I think I have a good body.
11. I'm as nice looking as most people.
12. There are lots of things I'd change about my looks if I could.
13. I'm proud of my body.
Yes - 1
No - 0
Items were summed to get the total score.
Mendelson, B. K., White, D. R., & Mendelson, M. J. (1996). Self-esteem and body esteem: Effects of gender, age, and weight. Journal of Applied Developmental Psychology, 17, 321-346. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0193-3973(96)90030-1
Existing Literature/Theoretical Framework
Field Expert Input
Cognitive Interviews / Pilot Testing