The Demographic and Health Survey Phase 8 (DHS-8): Marriage and Cohabitation includes 7 items from the Women's Questionnaire measuring a woman's marital or cohabitation history, current marital status or living arrangements, and the age when marriage/cohabitation first began. Navigational aspects (i.e. skip-out patterns and next question sequences) have not been included on this page but can be viewed on the original questionnaire located here.
Geographies Tested: Afghanistan,Angola,Burkina Faso,Cambodia,Cameroon,Cote d'Ivoire,Ethiopia,Ghana,Guatemala,Guinea,Kenya,Madagascar,Mozambique,Myanmar (Burma),Nepal,Rwanda,Senegal,The Gambia,Zimbabwe
Populations Included: Female
Age Range: Adolescents, Adults
1. Are you currently married or living together with a man as if married?
Yes, currently married
Yes, living with a man
No, not in union
2. Have you ever been married or lived together with a man as if married?
Yes, formerly married
Yes, lived with a man
3. What is your marital status now: are you widowed, divorced, or separated?
4. Is your (husbandpartner) living with you now or is he staying elsewhere?
Living with her
5. Have you been married or lived with a man only once or more than once?
More than once
6. Now I would like to ask about your first (husbandpartner). In what month and year did you start living with him?
2-digit numeric value (_Month)
Don’t know month
4-digit numeric value (_Year)
Don’t know year
7. How old were you when you first started living with your current (husbandpartner)?
2-digit numeric value (_Years)
Demographic and Health Surveys (2019). Demographic and Health Surveys: Women's Questionnaire. https://dhsprogram.com/publications/publication-DHSQ8-DHS-Questionnaires-and-Manuals.cfm
Ease of Use Score
Existing Literature/Theoretical Framework
Field Expert Input
Cognitive Interviews / Pilot Testing