The Demographic and Health Survey Phase 8 (DHS-8): Marriage and Cohabitation includes 7 items from the Women's Questionnaire measuring a woman's marital or cohabitation history, current marital status or living arrangements, and the age when marriage/cohabitation first began. Navigational aspects (i.e. skip-out patterns and next question sequences) have not been included on this page but can be viewed on the original questionnaire located here.
1. Are you currently married or living together with a man as if married?
Yes, currently married
Yes, living with a man
No, not in union
2. Have you ever been married or lived together with a man as if married?
Yes, formerly married
Yes, lived with a man
3. What is your marital status now: are you widowed, divorced, or separated?
4. Is your (husband/partner) living with you now or is he staying elsewhere?
Living with her
5. Have you been married or lived with a man only once or more than once?
More than once
6. Now I would like to ask about your first (husband/partner). In what month and year did you start living with him?
2-digit numeric value (_Month)
Don’t know month
4-digit numeric value (_Year)
Don’t know year
7. How old were you when you first started living with your current (husband/partner)?
2-digit numeric value (_Years)
Demographic and Health Surveys (2019). Demographic and Health Surveys: Women's Questionnaire. https://dhsprogram.com/publications/publication-DHSQ8-DHS-Questionnaires-and-Manuals.cfm
Existing Literature/Theoretical Framework
Field Expert Input
Cognitive Interviews / Pilot Testing