The Demographic and Health Survey Phase 8 (DHS-8): Maternal Health Care Services includes 5 items from the Women's Questionnaire to assess where/from whom antenatal care was received and the frequency of antenatal care. Navigational aspects (i.e. skip-out patterns and next question sequences) have not been included on this page but can be viewed on the original questionnaire located here.
Geographies Tested: Afghanistan,Angola,Burkina Faso,Cambodia,Cameroon,Cote d'Ivoire,Ethiopia,Ghana,Guatemala,Guinea,Kenya,Madagascar,Mozambique,Myanmar (Burma),Nepal,Rwanda,Senegal,The Gambia,Zimbabwe
Populations Included: Female
Age Range: Adolescents, Adults
1. Did you see anyone for antenatal care for this pregnancy?
2. Whom did you see? Anyone else? (Probe to identify each type of person and record all mentioned.)
3. Where did you receive antenatal care for this pregnancy? Anywhere else? (Probe to identify the type of source)
4. How many weeks or months pregnant were you when you first received antenatal care for this pregnancy?
2-digit numeric value (_Weeks)
2-digit numeric value (_Months)
5. How many times did you receive antenatal care during this pregnancy?
2-digit numeric value (_Number of Times)
Demographic and Health Surveys (2019). Demographic and Health Surveys: Women's Questionnaire. https://dhsprogram.com/publications/publication-DHSQ8-DHS-Questionnaires-and-Manuals.cfm
Ease of Use Score
Existing Literature/Theoretical Framework
Field Expert Input
Cognitive Interviews / Pilot Testing
to get the latest updates on new measures and guidance for survey researchers