The Demographic and Health Survey Phase 8 (DHS-8): Number of Children includes 5 items from the Women's Questionnaire regarding the number of children who live and do not live with the respondent. Navigational aspects (i.e., skip-out patterns and next question sequences) have not been included on this page but can be viewed on the original questionnaire located here.
Short Measure Multi-Country
1. How many sons live with you?
2. And how many daughters live with you?
Sons at home (2-digit numeric)
Daughters at home (2-digit numeric)
If none, record ‘00’.
3. Do you have any sons or daughters to whom you have given birth who are alive but do not live with you?
4. How many sons are alive but do not live with you?
5. And how many daughters are alive but do not live with you?
Record the 2-digit numeric value. If none record “00”.
Demographic and Health Surveys (2019). Demographic and Health Surveys: Women's Questionnaire. https://dhsprogram.com/publications/publication-DHSQ8-DHS-Questionnaires-and-Manuals.cfm
Existing Literature/Theoretical Framework
Field Expert Input
Cognitive Interviews / Pilot Testing