The Demographic and Health Survey Phase 8 (DHS-8): Ownership of Property and Land Assets includes 6 items from the Women's Questionnaire to assess home ownership (i.e., being the named owner) and ownership of agricultural or non-agricultural land of the female respondent. Navigational aspects (i.e. skip-out patterns and next question sequences) have not been included on this page but can be viewed on the original women’s questionnaire located here.
Geographies Tested: Afghanistan,Angola,Burkina Faso,Cambodia,Cameroon,Cote d'Ivoire,Ethiopia,Ghana,Guatemala,Guinea,Kenya,Madagascar,Mozambique,Myanmar (Burma),Nepal,Rwanda,Senegal,The Gambia,Zimbabwe
Populations Included: Female
Age Range: Adolescents, Adults
1. Do you own this or any other house either alone or jointly with someone else?
2. Do you own any agricultural or non-agricultural land either alone or jointly with someone else?
Jointly with husbandpartner only
Jointly with someone else only
Jointly with husbandpartner and someone else
Both alone and jointly
Does not own
3. Do you have a title deed or other government recognized document for any house you own?
4. Is your name on this document?
5. Do you have a title deed or other government recognized document for any land you own?
6. Is your name on this document?
Demographic and Health Surveys (2019). Demographic and Health Surveys: Women's Questionnaire. https://dhsprogram.com/publications/publication-DHSQ8-DHS-Questionnaires-and-Manuals.cfm
Ease of Use Score
Existing Literature/Theoretical Framework
Field Expert Input
Cognitive Interviews / Pilot Testing