The Demographic and Health Survey Phase 8 (DHS-8): Use of Contraception includes 8 items from the Women's Questionnaire measuring individual use of and ability to access contraception. Different aspects captured include resources for obtaining contraception, reasons for not using contraception, and decision making power regarding contraceptive use. Navigational aspects (i.e. skip-out patterns and next question sequences) have not been included on this page but can be viewed on the original questionnaire located here.
Geographies Tested: Afghanistan,Angola,Burkina Faso,Cambodia,Cameroon,Cote d'Ivoire,Ethiopia,Ghana,Guatemala,Guinea,Kenya,Madagascar,Mozambique,Myanmar (Burma),Nepal,Rwanda,Senegal,The Gambia,Zimbabwe
Populations Included: Female
Age Range: Adolescents, Adults
1. The last time you had sexual intercourse with this person, was a condom used?
2. From where did you obtain the condom last time?
(Probe to identify type of source. If unable to determine if public, private, or NGO sector, write the name of the place.)
3. You have said that you do not want (aanother) child soon. Can you tell me why you are not using a method to prevent pregnancy? Any other reason? OR
You have said that you do not want any (more) children. Can you tell me why you are not using a method to prevent pregnancy? Any other reason?
Record all reasons mentioned.
4. Do you think you will use contraceptive method to delay or avoid pregnancy at any time in the future?
5. When making this decision with your (husbandpartner), would you say that your opinion is more important, equally important, or less important than your (husband’spartner’s) opinion?
Equally important Less important
6. Who usually makes the decision on whether or not you should use contraception, you, your (husbandpartner), you and your (husbandpartner) jointly, or someone else?
Respondent and Husbandpartner jointly
Other (Additionally, specify in text)
7. Could you ask your (husbandpartner) to use a condom if you wanted him to?
Demographic and Health Surveys (2019). Demographic and Health Surveys: Women's Questionnaire. https://dhsprogram.com/publications/publication-DHSQ8-DHS-Questionnaires-and-Manuals.cfm
Ease of Use Score
Existing Literature/Theoretical Framework
Field Expert Input
Cognitive Interviews / Pilot Testing
to get the latest updates on new measures and guidance for survey researchers