The Demographic and Health Survey Phase 8 (DHS-8): Use of Family Planning Resources includes 7 items from the Women's Questionnaire measuring individual access to family planning resources. Different aspects captured include the respondent’s knowledge of family planning methods and locations, exposure to informational resources regarding family planning, and the use of healthcare facilities. Navigational aspects (i.e. skip-out patterns and next question sequences) have not been included on this page but can be viewed on the original questionnaire located here.
Geographies Tested: Afghanistan,Angola,Burkina Faso,Cambodia,Cameroon,Cote d'Ivoire,Ethiopia,Ghana,Guatemala,Guinea,Kenya,Madagascar,Mozambique,Myanmar (Burma),Nepal,Rwanda,Senegal,The Gambia,Zimbabwe
Populations Included: Female
Age Range: Adolescents, Adults
1. At that time, were you told about other methods of family planning that you could use?
2. At that time, were you told that you could switch to another method if you wanted to or needed to?
3. Do you know of a place where you can obtain a method of family planning?
4. In the last 12 months, were you visited by a fieldworker?
5. Did the fieldworker talk to you about family planning?
6. If yes to living with children: a) In the last 12 months, have you visited a health facility for care for yourself or your children?
If no to living with children: b.) In the last 12 months, have you visited a health facility for care for yourself?
7. Did any staff member at the health facility speak to you about family planning methods?
Demographic and Health Surveys (2019). Demographic and Health Surveys: Women's Questionnaire. https://dhsprogram.com/publications/publication-DHSQ8-DHS-Questionnaires-and-Manuals.cfm
Ease of Use Score
Existing Literature/Theoretical Framework
Field Expert Input
Cognitive Interviews / Pilot Testing
to get the latest updates on new measures and guidance for survey researchers