The Demographic and Health Survey Phase 8 (DHS-8): Exposure to Family Planning Resources includes 8 items from the Women's Questionnaire to measure individual exposure to resources and information about family planning. Items ask if the respondent has heard about family planning via the media or their mobile device. Navigational aspects (i.e. skip-out patterns and next question sequences) have not been included on this page but can be viewed on the original questionnaire located here.
Geographies Tested: Afghanistan,Angola,Burkina Faso,Cambodia,Cameroon,Cote d'Ivoire,Ethiopia,Ghana,Guatemala,Guinea,Kenya,Madagascar,Mozambique,Myanmar (Burma),Nepal,Rwanda,Senegal,The Gambia,Zimbabwe
Populations Included: Female
Age Range: Adolescents, Adults
In the last 12 months have you:
1. Heard about family planning on the radio?
2. Seen anything about family planning on the television?
3. Read about family planning in a newspaper or magazine?
4. Received a voice or text message about family planning on a mobile phone?
5. Seen anything about family planning on social media such as Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram?
6. Seen anything about family planning on a poster, leaflet, or brochure?
7. Seen anything about family planning on an outdoor sign or billboard?
8. Heard anything about family planning at community meetings or events?
Demographic and Health Surveys (2019). Demographic and Health Surveys: Women's Questionnaire. https://dhsprogram.com/publications/publication-DHSQ8-DHS-Questionnaires-and-Manuals.cfm
Ease of Use Score
Existing Literature/Theoretical Framework
Field Expert Input
Cognitive Interviews / Pilot Testing