The RCOPE – Short Form is a 63-item measure that assesses a range of religious coping methods. It consists of 21 subscales with three items each including potentially helpful and harmful religious expressions. The full form of the measure with 21 subscales of five items each, can be found here.
Geographies Tested: United States of America
Populations Included: Female, Male
Age Range: Adults
Religious Methods of Coping to Find Meaning
- Saw my situation as part of God’s plan.
- Tried to find a lesson from God in the event.
- Tried to see how God might be trying to strengthen me in this situation.
- Wondered what I did for God to punish me.
- Decided that God was punishing me for my sins.
- Felt punished by God for my lack of devotion.
- Believed the devil was responsible for my situation.
- Felt the situation was the work of the devil.
- Decided the devil made this happen.
- Questioned the power of God.
- Thought that some things are beyond God’s control.
- Realized that God cannot answer all of my prayers.
Religious Methods of Coping to Gain Control
- Tried to put my plans into action together with God.
- Worked together with God as partners.
- Tried to make sense of the situation with God.
- Did my best and then turned the situation over to God.
- Did what I could and put the rest in God’s hands.
- Took control over what I could, and gave the rest up to God.
- Didn’t do much, just expected God to solve my problems for me.
- Didn’t try much of anything; simply expected God to take control.
- Didn’t try to cope: only expected God to take my worries away.
- Pleaded with God to make things turn out okay.
- Prayed for a miracle.
- Bargained with God to make things better.
- Tried to deal with my feelings without God’s help.
- Tried to make sense of the situation without relying on God.
- Made decisions about what to do without God’s help.
Religious Methods of Coping to Gain Comfort and Closeness to God
- Sought God’s love and care.
- Trusted that God would be by my side.
- Looked to God for strength, support, and guidance.
- Prayed to get my mind off of my problems.
- Thought about spiritual matters to stop thinking about my problems.
- Focused on religion to stop worrying about my problems.
- Confessed my sins.
- Asked forgiveness for my sins.
- Tried to be less sinful.
- Looked for a stronger connection with God.
- Sought a stronger spiritual connection with other people.
- Thought about how my life is part of a larger spiritual force.
- Wondered whether God had abandoned me.
- Voiced anger that God didn’t answer my prayers.
- Questioned God’s love for me.
- Avoided people who weren’t of my faith.
- Stuck to the teachings and practices of my religion.
- Ignored advice that was inconsistent with my faith.
Religious Methods of Coping to Gain Intimacy with Others and Closeness to God
- Looked for spiritual support from clergy.
- Asked others to pray for me.
- Looked for love and concern from the members of my church.
- Prayed for the well-being of others.
- Offered spiritual support to family or friends.
- Tried to give spiritual strength to others.
- Disagreed with what the church wanted me to do or believe.
- Felt dissatisfaction with the clergy.
- Wondered whether my church had abandoned me.
Religious Methods of Coping to Achieve a Life Transformation
- Asked God to help me find a new purpose in life.
- Prayed to find a new reason to live.
- Prayed to discover my purpose in living.
- Tried to find a completely new life through religion.
- Looked for a total spiritual reawakening.
- Prayed for a complete transformation of my life.
- Sought help from God in letting go of my anger.
- Asked God to help me overcome my bitterness.
- Sought God’s help in trying to forgive others.
A 4-point Likert scale ranging from 0 “not at all” to 3 “a great deal.”
The mean score of each of the 21 subscales (ranging from 0-3) is calculated.
Pargament, K. I., Koenig, H. G., & Perez, L. M. (2000). The Many Methods of Religious Coping: Development and Initial Validation of the RCOPE. Journal of Clinical Psychology, 56(4), 519-543. https://doi.org/10.1002/(sici)1097-4679(200004)56:4%3C519::aid-jclp6%3E3.0.co;2-1