Attitude Abuse Form is a 10-item measure of the acceptance of male dominance among married women in Iran. Items include different forms of abuse and control.
Please think about your beliefs concerning acceptance of male dominance and circle the number which best indicates your agreement or disagreement with each of the following statements.
I think it is the right of a man to:
1. Criticize his wife in front of others
2. Never stay at home
3. Not allow his wife to have money
4. Not allow his wife to earn money
5. Not allow his wife to leave the house
6. Not allow his wife to communicate with family or friends
7. Make decisions for his wife
8. Have intercourse without consent of his wife
9. Hit his wife
10. Think of his wife as property
5-point Likert scale
Strongly disagree - 1
Strongly agree - 5
Items are summed to create a total score with a maximum of 50. Cutoffs are established as positive attitude to acceptance of male dominance for a score greater than 30.
Faramarzi, M., Esmailzadeh, S., & Mosavi, S. (2005). A comparison of abused and non-abused women’s definitions of domestic violence and attitudes to acceptance of male dominance. European Journal of Obstetrics, Gynecology & Reproductive Biology, 122(2), 225-231. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejogrb.2004.11.047
Existing Literature/Theoretical Framework
Field Expert Input
Cognitive Interviews / Pilot Testing