Partner and Self-Patriarchy Scale is an 11-item measure of the endorsement of patriarchal views within the household among respondents and expected beliefs of their partners.
Geographies Tested: Mexico
Populations Included: Female, Male
Age Range: Adults
Please indicate your level of agreement with each of the following statements. Afterwards, indicate how much you think that your partner would agree with each one of these same statements.
1. The ultimate authority in the house is the father/husband.
2. A woman should obey her husband.
3. It is all right for a man to punish his woman/wife if she is not obedient.
4. The law should not intervene in conflicts between husband and wife.
5. The man is the most appropriate person to make decisions in the house.
6. A woman should not question the orders of her husband.
7. Women were born to obey their husbands.
8. A woman should expect neither all a man's love nor all a man's money.
9. The government should not interfere in family matters.
10. Fathers have the authority in the family and no one should challenge it.
11. The head of the family can use physical punishment with any members of the family that do not obey him.
Neither disagree nor agree
Figueredo, A. J., Corral-Verdugo, V., Frias-Armenta, M., Bachar, K. J., White, J., McNeill, P. L., Kirsner, B. R., & Castell-Ruiz, I. P. (2001). Blood, solidarity, status, and honor. The sexual balance of power and spousal abuse in Sonora, Mexico. Evolution and Human Behavior, 22, 295-328. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1090-5138(01)00067-8
Ease of Use Score
Existing Literature/Theoretical Framework
Field Expert Input
Cognitive Interviews / Pilot Testing