Normative Gender Beliefs is an 11-item measure of traditional gender role beliefs regarding three factors: infidelity, same-sex relationships and sexual conservatism.
Geographies Tested: United States of America
Populations Included: Female, Male
Age Range: Adults
1. If a married man came alone to the United States, it's ok for him to look for other sexual partners.
2. If a married woman came alone to the United States, it's ok for her to look for other sexual partners.
3. If a man wants variety in his sex life and cannot find it at home, it's all right for him to look for it elsewhere.
4. If a woman wants variety in her se life and cannot find it at home, it's all right for her to look for it elsewhere.
5. Sex between two men is acceptable.
6. Sex between two women is acceptable.
7. Homosexuality is a as normal as heterosexuality.
8. Masturbation is a sin.
9. It is very important that a woman be a virgin until marriage.
10. Only homosexual men practice anal sex.
11. People who touch their sexual parts to get aroused do it because they are sick.
Definitely yes - 1
Probably yes - 2
More yes than no - 3
Probably no - 4
Definitely no - 5
Item scores are summed to create subscale and total measure scores.
Fernandez-Esquer, M. E., Diamond, P., & Atkinson, J. (2010). Lazos que Atan: The influence of normative gender beliefs and sexual risk behaviors of Latino men and women. Journal of Applied Social Psychology, 40(12), 2969-2994. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1559-1816.2010.00689.x
Ease of Use Score
Existing Literature/Theoretical Framework
Field Expert Input
Cognitive Interviews / Pilot Testing