Discrepancy Stress Scale is a 5-item measure that assesses men's stress due to societal prescriptions of masculinity.
1. I wish I was more ‘‘manly.’’
2. I wish I was interested in things that other guys find interesting.
3. I worry that people judge me because I am not like the typical man.
4. Sometimes I worry about my masculinity.
5. I worry that women find me less attractive because I’m not as macho as other guys.
7-point Likert scale
Strongly Agree - 1
Neutral - 4
Strongly Disagree - 7
Reidy, D. E., Brookmeyer, K. A., Gentile, B., Berke, D. S., & Zeichner, A. (2016). Gender role discrepancy stress, high-risk sexual behavior, and sexually transmitted disease. Archives of Sexual Behavior, 45(2), 459-465. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10508-014-0413-0
Existing Literature/Theoretical Framework
Field Expert Input
Cognitive Interviews / Pilot Testing